Here is my home made taco sauce recipe. I made it up after getting fed up with the NZD $3 cost for a jar of the stuff in the supermarkets. Plus if you make it yourself, you know what’s in it right? Enjoy!
Home made taco sauce
Recipe type: Main
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Total time: 40 mins
I love tacos very much. One of the easiest Mexican recipes out there, they’re as easy as browning mince to make. One thing I do insist on hand-creating every time, however, is the sauce for my tacos. At a few dollars a jar, I feel better taste and value is served if you spend an extra few minutes putting together your own taco sauce. Here’s how you can make your own delicious taco sauce.
- 400g tinned tomatoes
- 1/2 an onion (use the rest in beef preparation)
- 1/2 a capsicum/sweet pepper (use the rest in beef preparation)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 small chilli
- A splash of white wine or cider vinegar
- 2 tsp of paprika
- 1 tsp of ground cayenne chilli
- Drizzle of olive oil
- Place the olive oil in a medium saucepan and heat.
- Place a dessert spoon in your mouth and slice the onion and capsicum. The dessert spoon seems to fend off some of the onion sting and reduces crying into your food.
- When the oil is hot, brown the onion and lightly cook capsicum/sweet pepper for a few minutes until it begins to soften.
- Crush the garlic cloves and add to the pan, stirring well.
- Chop the chilli and throw them in also. Continue to stir until the onions are browned how you like them.
- Add tomatoes, taking care over the temperature differences.
- Stir and turn heat down.
- Add a short splash of vinegar.
- Add the paprika and cayenne and stir well again.
- Prepare your meat for the tacos while the sauce simmers gently.
- After 20 minutes, or when the sauce has thickened, add it to your meat mixture and cook with meat for about 8 minutes.
Serving size: 3 tacos
To make tacos, you will also need 12 taco shells, 500g beef mince, grated cheese, yoghurt and salad of your choice.